Parmigiano-Reggiano and Sport
Parmigiano-Reggiano is a resource, brought to us by nature and the labours of men, combining health and flavour within a balanced diet.
The organoleptic and nutritional characteristics of Parmigiano-Reggiano are the result of precise production decisions developed over the years, which have subsequently been formalized and established as fixed for the past 70 years, that is since 1934, when the Consortium for its protection was founded and the production guidelines, pivotal for PDO status - Protected Designation of Origin, established.
Its characteristic elements are:
- the use of raw milk, which is delivered to the cheese dairy directly after each milking;
- no additives whatsoever;
- the use of natural fermenting agents alone and a minimum aging period of 12 months.
The perception of Parmigiano-Reggiano not just as a wholesome product, but as a healthy, nutritional one as well, is a result of the long production tradition and its ties to the area of origin, which together have made this cheese one of the outstanding symbols of Italian-made foods.
- extremely rich in free amino acids. Easily digested by the body, they are produced by the transformation of casein, a milk protein, during the lengthy aging period. During this phase other minor compounds are also formed due to protein breakdown, e.g. peptids, which determine the organoleptic characteristics of the cheese and aid its digestion.
- very rich in calcium, is particularly bioavailable and is also an important source of phosphorous. 50 g covers 50% of an adult’s RDI. These values also apply to lactose-intolerance sufferers in that Parmigiano-Reggiano is lactose free. This source of nutrients and flavour is precious for those who seek an exceptional product of superior excellence, the result of traditional production, and whose quality and origin are guaranteed by a collective brand.
|Mean composition for 100 g of Parmigiano-Reggiano:|
|Free aminoacids on total protein1||%||23,3|
|Fat in dry matter||% d.m.||43,3|
|of which sugars||g||0|
|Thiamin (Vit. B1)||mg||0,03|
|Riboflavin (Vit. B2)||mg||0,35|
|Niacin (Vit. PP/B3)||mg||0,06|
|Pantotenico acid (Vit. B5)||mg||0,32|
On the basis of these values the Consortium has embarked on a project entitled Parmigiano-Reggiano and sport involving a series of collaborations in various disciplines and sports events on both a national and international level.
Thanks to this project Parmigiano-Reggiano is:
- Sponsor of Giuliano Razzoli, the young skiier in the Italian National Squad.
- Sponsor of Gran Premio Giovanissimi
- Sponsor of the Volley Parma Team.
- Sponsor of Stramilano (marathon)
- Sponsor of various marathons held in the provinces of the area of production.
- Sponsor of the men’s Reggiana Basket, basketball team.
- Sponsor of Parmigiano Reggiano Italian Team, Winner of FED CUP 2010
- Official supplier to CONI / the Olympic Team / Casa Italia for the Peking summer Olympics (China) in 2008, the 2009 Mediterranean Games in Pescara, the Winter Olympics in Vancouver (Canada) in 2010
- Sponsor of the Giro d’Italia cycle race "Leg winner" (2007, 2008, 2009)